Recruitment and New Member Education Policies
The possession, consumption, distribution, or use of alcohol or drugs is prohibited at any recruitment or new member education event or activity hosted by a social Greek letter organization. Anyone under the influence of alcohol or drugs is not permitted to participate or attend recruitment, intake, or new member education activities. This includes the following individuals:
- Potential new members (those interested in membership)
- Current or new members
- Chapter and/or Faculty Advisors
Alcohol and/or drugs are not permitted to be involved, formally or informally, in the recruitment, intake, or new member education process. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- Formal or informal recruitment events (on or off campus)
- Bid day
- New Member Presentations (Probates)
- Step shows
- Events hosted primarily for new members or where new members are required to attend
The recruitment or intake period begins during Orientation, the first Informational, or in the absence of either, the first recruitment event. There is a 48 hour moratorium on all events with alcohol following the distribution and acceptance of membership.
The membership education or intake period ends following the completion of the formal initiation process signifying full membership.
All chapters that plan to engage in recruitment and/or intake must notify and receive approval from Fraternity and Sorority Life, prior to beginning events. Please complete the appropriate notice of recruitment form in CardinalEngage.
Failure to adhere to this policy may result in a referral to the Student Group Accountability Process. Governing Councils, including the African American Fraternal and Sororal Association (AAFSA), Interfraternity Council (IFC), Inter-Sorority Council (ISC), and Multicultural Greek Council (MGC), may have additional or more restrictive policies.
New Member Education
The new member education process must meet the following criteria:
- Conclude within 8 weeks of bid acceptance (including breaks and holidays)
- Conclude before the finals examination period
- Initiate new members in the quarter they were recruited, unless the chapter has extenuating circumstances and receives written exception from their Fraternity and Sorority Life Advisor.
Failure to adhere to this policy may result in a referral to the Student Group Accountability Process.